I am new to gravity, and would like to understand how logging and log forwarding works.
I can see you can configure the gravity cluster to forward logs to a remote logging server as per:
Can someone help me understand:
- I can see there is a log-forwarder pod deployed on each node (controllers and workers).
- Are the logs on my pods, on a particular node, aggregated and sent to the log-forwarder pod?
- Is the log-forwarder pod then forwarding these logs somewhere else or it stays there?
- Assuming the logs stay on the node’s local log-forwarder pods, does that mean when I log onto Ops Center and view the logs, it is pulling this information from the log-forwarder pods on all the other nodes?
- If not, is it pulling logs from all the pods/containers directly? I don’t see much point of the log-forwarder pod if this is true, so I’m assuming this doesn’t happen.
- As for forwarding logs to a remote server, is the Ops Center aggregating the logs and sending them off? Or all the log-forwarder pods are sending this off to the remote server? This is important because the firewall rules will need to either allow 1 IP or multiple IP addresses for all the nodes.
I hope my question makes sense.